Monday, August 29, 2011

Why am I Mormon?

My parents both met missionaries and joined the Church in their early adulthood.  They then met, were married in a temple for eternity, and raised us kids in the Church.   So, I have been a Mormon all my life.  I grew up knowing that I was a daughter of God, reading from the scriptures, learning about a Saviour who loves me, listening to a prophet, and going to church every Sunday – even sitting in the same pew each week.

We are, however, encouraged to know for ourselves.  I may have been born to Mormon parents, and as a child I probably did go to church because my parent’s expected it of me while living at home – yet I have come to the knowledge for myself that being a Mormon is the right thing for me.  I love the feeling of warmth, comfort, and security that I feel when I am listening to the words of the prophet.  I thoroughly enjoy reading and studying the Book of Mormon, which helps me understand the Bible and Christ’s teachings so much more.  I have prayed to know if Joseph Smith really did see God and Jesus Christ, and if he really did restore missing truths.  I have had countless moments when I feel like I understand, feel loved, or feel that what I am doing is right.  I have also seen the blessings that come from living good standards and principles – like paying tithing, as commanded, or dressing modestly, as advised.

Living good standards and following important principles can be a big commitment.   I believe ones beliefs should not be passive – our religion, set of values, or beliefs should be reflected in how we live our lives, how we speak, dress, and act, and most importantly, how we make decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...